Tuesday 9 October 2012

Darjeeling

As my previous post was so long, I thought I would just add a selection of photos from Darjeeling. This will probably be my last post, as I am leaving on Friday morning!


We went and saw the sunrise from Tiger Hill. The sun lit up the Himalayas and they looked ethereal as they gradually emerged. They also appeared to be floating like clouds!

Katie and I with the Himalayas in the background

This is a temple we visited. The flags are printed with Buddha's teachings. It looked gorgeous and was really peaceful inside - we spent a lot of time watching the monkeys play.

This is a Tibetan monastery which we visited. It has young monks there as well, who had a school on the site. Again, very colourful.

We ate out a lot, and this particular lunchtime I had momos, which are liked chinese dumplings with chicken and/or veg inside. Reminded me of China. Very delicious.

Darjeeling was a lot calmer and cooler than Calcutta - it is more of a tourist destination. Climate was similar to England as well, which was refreshing! We went for three full days, and spent about 16 hours travelling each way. The hostel we staying in was funny - cost us 20 quid for four of us for 2 nights, but we had 2 single beds and a single mattress on the floor, and the ensuite had a shower but the boiler didn't work and the water was freezing, so we ended up washing in the sink. It did have a balcony and an awesome view though, so that was good. I am glad to be back in the hospital with a proper shower though!

No comments:

Post a Comment